Julia Roberts loves villainy

11 Apr Following the less-than-positive reception for last year's "Larry Crowne", 2000's Academy Award-winner Julia Roberts has decided to challenge herself to play much a darker character, in the form of the Evil Queen Clementianna in Tarsem Singh's latest piece "Mirror Mirror", a reimagining of Snow White, according to The Times Of India.

According to Roberts, it was entertaining to play the villain this time around.

"It was fun to play this villain because there aren't any real rules of syntax or reality that apply to her. So, I could kind of do anything and just go off the rails in any direction at any time and it would make sense to me. You don't have to worry too much about the reality of, 'Would a person really do this?'" said the 45-year-old.

The star was also a fan of Tarsem, which was the reason behind her excitement when she first knew that she would be a part of "Mirror Mirror".

"I am such a fan of Tarsem, I thought, 'Okay, well, I'd love to meet him. And if I have to go and sit and hear him talk about "Snow White" for an hour and then just talk about other things, then that's what we'll do."

"And he had such a great take on it and he had such a vibrant personality. I read the script that he had and I was really taken and really surprised and suddenly thought, 'Oh, wait a minute, this is all coming together in this unexpected way.'"

Further, the "Pretty Woman" star was very impressed with her costumes in the movie, which redefined the costumed traditions of fairy tales.

"I don't look particularly good in big purple eye shadow with a Dracula collar [referring to Disney's "Snow White"]. We wanted to go a different route with the Evil Queen's look. I think people like variations on things," added Roberts.

"Mirror Mirror" is currently showing in cinemas in Malaysia and Singapore.


Comments